Oil painting on canvas, St Peter's College (Peterhouse), Cambridge by Richard Bankes Harraden (1778 - Cambridge 1862), signed and dated: R.B.Harraden pinxit 1825. Trumpington Street with Peterhouse or St Peter's College on the left, the Peterhouse Chapel. On the left of the chapel is the library and on the right is the Fellows¿ Building. Distant view up the street, with figures in gowns walking on the pavements and a small carriage being driven on the left. Peterhouse or more properly St Peter's College is the oldest college in Cambridge and was founded by Hugh of Balsham, Bishop of Ely in 1281.The chapel is an attractive example of Laudian Gothic (1628-1632) which is connected with the main buildings by galleries (1709-11).On the right of the chapel is the Fellows' Building by Burrough (1738-1742) and on the left are the Library (around 1590 extended 1633) and the Hall much altered in 1868-1871 but substantially the original hall of around 1290. CMS_PCF_515831
NTPL Ref. No.